‘BE THE TYPE OF FRIEND, EVERYONE WISHES THEY HAD’
Friendships are so important in our lives. A life without friends can make you feel lost, unwanted and alone. It doesn’t matter what situation you’re in, if you have a true friend by your side somehow everything feels 100000X better. As the saying goes, “You don’t need a certain number of friends, you just need friends that you can be certain of.” I feel so lucky to have such wonderful friends both in and out of school. Even though you may not see each other all the time, the best friends are those where you just pick up where you left off – it’s like you only saw each other yesterday. Some times things can go wrong and you can fall out, so I thought I’d put together some tips on how to become an even more beautiful friend, whether that’s making new friends if you’re starting a new school, or just improving the friendships you already have. These top 10 tips have been inspired by the legendary writer, Dale Carnegie, who wrote “How to Win Friends and Influence People”. Thanks to all my lovely friends for letting me illustrate this post with our pictures – you know who you are!
1. SMILE – remember smiles are contagious. I have written a whole post on why smiling is so important. Even if you don’t feel like it – just fake it for a few seconds and gradually you will start to properly smile. Try it! You’ll see everyone around you will start smiling too. It’s weird! People are drawn to smiley people, so it’s really a great thing to do if you are starting a new school or going to a party where you don’t know anyone.
2. TALK ABOUT THE OTHER PERSON’S INTERESTS – Truth be told, we can spend too much time thinking and talking about ourselves. Ask questions and be truly interested in what your friend has been up to and how are they are feeing, rather than being in a hurry to tell them what’s going on in your world.
3. MAKE THE OTHER PERSON FEEL IMPORTANT—AND DO IT SINCERELY
4. BECOME GENUINELY INTERESTED IN THE OTHER PERSON – A true friend is someone who always listens and is genuinely interested in the good and bad, not just to know all the ‘latest gossip’ to spread around, but because they genuinely care. Also be someone who calls or texts just to say ‘hey’ to let them know you’re thinking about them.
5. BE WHO YOU REALLY ARE – always be true to yourself and provide the other person with the space, safety, confidence and choice to do the same.
6. DON’T CRITICISE CONDEMN, OR COMPLAIN – Criticising another person not only damages that person’s reputation and feelings, it puts a dent in your own. Even if you’re joking. If you have nothing positive or nice to say, don’t say anything.
7. SHOW RESPECT FOR THE OTHER PERSON’S OPINION. NEVER SAY, “YOU’RE WRONG” – Avoid making others defensive. If you don’t agree with someone or see things differently, simply listen and ask why they feel the way they do and respond accordingly. Always avoid an argument.
8. BE ONE FACED – always be loyal. Don’t be all friendly to someone and then go talk about them behind their back! Being two faced is a major no when it comes to any relationship. I found this really amazing quote on tumblr that will really make you think…
“GREAT MINDED PEOPLE DISCUSS IDEAS.
AVERAGE MINDED PEOPLE DISCUSS EVENTS.
SMALL MINDED PEOPLE TALK ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE.”
9. BE SYMPATHETIC WITH YOUR FRIEND’S IDEAS AND DREAMS – Being understanding, sympathetic and supportive is a sure way of being a true friend.
10. ALWAYS BE THERE - Even in silence.