There is one thing you can do to make yourself look more beautiful and attractive in an instant. SMILE! Seems such a little thing, but if you think about it – it’s so true. Wouldn’t we all much rather be around a smiley person? Here are some facts that you might not have known about smiling… I hope they make you smile! 🙂
1. FORCING YOURSELF TO SMILE CAN BOOST YOUR MOOD: Psychologists have found that even if you’re in a bad mood, you can instantly lift your spirits by forcing yourself to smile.
2. IT BOOSTS YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM: Smiling really can improve your physical health too. Your body is more relaxed when you smile, which contributes to good health and a stronger immune system – I know it sounds crazy but it’s so true!
3. SMILES ARE CONTAGIOUS: In a study in Sweden, people had difficulty frowning when they looked at other subjects who were smiling, and their muscles twitched into smiles all on their own!
4. SMILES RELIEVE STRESS: Your body immediately releases endorphins (endorphins are a group of hormones secreted within the brain and nervous system) when you smile, even when you force it. This sudden change in mood will help you feel better and release stress.
5. IT’S EASIER TO SMILE THAN TO FROWN: Scientists have discovered that your body has to work harder and use more muscles to frown than it does to smile.
6. IT’S A UNIVERSAL SIGN OF HAPPINESS: While hand shakes, hugs, and bows all have varying meanings across cultures, smiling is known around the world and in all cultures as a sign of happiness and acceptance.
7. SMILES ARE MORE ATTRACTIVE THAN MAKE-UP: A research study conducted by Orbit Complete discovered that 69% of people find women more attractive when they smile than when they are wearing makeup.
8. WE STILL SMILE AT SCHOOL: While we smile less at school than we do at home, 30% of subjects in a research study smiled five to 20 times a day, and 28% smiled over 20 times per day at school.
9. SMILES USE FROM 5 TO 53 FACIAL MUSCLES: Just smiling can require your body to use up to 53 muscles, but some smiles only use 5 muscle movements.
10. SMILING HELPS YOU GET PROMOTED: Smiles make a person seem more attractive, sociable and confident, and people who smile more are more likely to get a promotion.
11. SMILES ARE THE MOST RECOGNISABLE FACIAL EXPRESSION : People can recognize smiles from up to 300 feet away, making it the most easily recognizable facial expression.
12. WOMEN SMILE MORE THAN MEN : Generally, women smile more than men, but when they participate in similar work or social roles, they smile the same amount. This finding leads scientists to believe that gender roles are quite flexible. Boy babies, though, smile less than girl babies, who also make more eye contact.
13. THERE ARE 19 DIFFERENT TYPES OF SMILES: A San Francisco researcher identified 19 types of smiles and put them into two categories: polite “social” smiles which engage fewer muscles, and sincere “felt” smiles that use more muscles on both sides of the face.